Work smarter to claw back time with automated sub-ledger balancing
Among my family and friends I’m well known for my love of ‘To Do Lists’. I find them useful because:
- They stop my thoughts racing with all the things I must do or mustn’t forget. This helps me to focus on what I’m doing now.
- They also help me work out the most time efficient manner in which to perform tasks.
- In the words of a former boss, they help me “use my head to save my legs”.
These days we all have so many different commitments vying for our time. So, any strategies we can put in place to save a few precious minutes here and there (or even hours) are so valuable.
At DataRapt, we create products that give you back your time. When it comes to sub-ledger balancing, why spend hours wading through journals and reports, when a system can do it for you?
If you decide to balance your SYSPRO modules to the General Ledger using a manual approach then you:
- First need to make sure that all the sub-ledger journals have been posted to the General Ledger.
- Then you can begin to check whether the GL control accounts for each module balance to the sub-ledger. To do this you will need to get the sub-ledger balance.
- You can get this from an ‘At a Glance’ or a report depending on the individual module.
- You will then need to establish which GL control accounts are used by each module and then get the account balance(s).
- In most cases you will need to do a GL query to get the GL control account balance(s) for the control accounts used by each module.
- Now you can compare the sub-ledger balance to the GL control accounts to see if there’s a difference.
- If there is a difference then you have to start investigating. You will need to find both the source of the variance and then correct it.
Compare that to using DataRapt’s sub-ledger balancing utilities where:
- You refresh the data and immediately see if there is an imbalance between any of the sub-ledgers and the General Ledger.
- You can remedy the individual variances identified as causing the imbalance, assisted by our ‘What Next?’ facility, which provides insight into what may have caused a variance and offers suggestions to resolve it.
Another great benefit is that you can refresh the data unattended after hours and have the results emailed to a responsible person.
Also, with DataRapt’s at a glance screen, you can quickly review the balancing status of your modules because on one single screen and for all installed modules you can see:
- the sub-ledger balance,
- the GL balance
- and any variance between them.
Separately you will also see any timing differences that exist because of unposted GL Journals so:
- you don’t have to post your sub-ledger journals before you start balancing
- and you can ignore these variances because they will resolve themselves when you post the GL Journals. This leaves you to focus your attention on real problems.
All this adds up to working smarter to claw back time. Or as my wise boss said ‘using your head to save your legs’.